Summer barge waste services in the Hauraki Gulf
Don't go overboard with your waste this summer
Over the summer holiday period, Auckland Council sets up waste services in the Hauraki Gulf to support leisure boat users to effectively manage their waste while out on the water.
The summer waste barges are located in two separate locations – one at Port Fitzroy, Great Barrier Island and the second at Man O’ War Bay, Waiheke Island. The barges provide a safe and convenient disposal method for the large number of boaties using the Hauraki Gulf throughout the summer period. Boaties are actively encouraged to use the facilities or to ‘pack in and pack out’ and take their waste home with them.
The barges accept general household waste and recyclables. No commercial waste, inorganic/bulky items, or hazardous waste will be accepted.
Each barge is set up with 240 litre wheelie bins - some are assigned for general waste, others for recyclable materials. The clearly-marked bins are designed to be clean, watertight, and will effectively contain all refuse and recycling, as well as any odours that may occur in the heat of summer. The bulwarks of the barge are also designed to contain any waste that may escape from the wheelie bins.
Boaties can tie up to the barge or row out and safely secure their vessels alongside the refuse barges.
Aotea / Great Barrier Island
The summer waste barge will be open from Thursday, 20 December 2018 until Wednesday, 6 February 2019. It is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including public holidays.
The barge will be moored at Port Fitzroy, on the south side of the Man of War Passage, just north of Smokehouse Bay.
The summer waste barge will be open from Thursday, 20 December 2018 until Thursday, 7 February 2019. It is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including public holidays.
The barge will be moored at Man O’ War Bay, Waiheke Island.
50 x 240 litre wheelie bins.
Boaties are actively encouraged to use the facilities or to ‘pack in and pack out’ and take their waste home with them.
How to use the summer barges
- Pre-sort your waste into rubbish and recyclable materials before you arrive at the barge.
- Place all items in the appropriate marked wheelie bins – general waste or recycling.
- Recyclable materials wheelie bins have a green body and yellow lid.
- Please do not leave rubbish bags or loose items on the deck of the barge. Ensure all rubbish bags are placed in the general waste bins.
- Recycle as much as you can: glass bottles and jars, aluminium cans/empty aerosols, steel and tin cans, plastics labelled 1-7, paper and cardboard, and Tetra Pak cartons (milk and juice).
- Remember to: rinse all containers, leave the lids on all bottles and containers, containers should be no larger than 4 litres.
- NB: the Great Barrier Island Barge is unable to accept Tetra Pak cartons or bottle lids. Please place these items with your general waste.
- A rule of thumb to follow is that you can recycle most packaging containers from your kitchen, bathroom, and laundry.