Summer rubbish and recycling tips
Get yourself sorted this summer with these tips for reducing waste:
Christmas tree disposal advice
- Auckland Council does not collect people’s Christmas trees, so consider the following options for convenient and sustainable disposal of your tree:
- Ask your Christmas tree seller if they’ll take your tree after the festive season.
- If you have a private garden bag or bin collection, check if they accept Christmas trees.
- Some Christmas tree farms accept trees purchased from anywhere, for free, to use for mulch or compost.
- If you’re using a Christmas tree collection service, check that they collect from inside your property (not the kerbside) and if they will put the tree to good use, such as for mulch or compost.
- You can take Christmas trees to some transfer stations for a fee. Make sure you check opening hours.
- Take reusable bags when shopping.
- Get creative… give your loved one experiential gifts that require wrapping or involve accumulating more stuff, like memberships, subscriptions or services.
- Go shopping at your local antique store or op shop for quality vintage gifts
- Choose gifts and supplies with minimal packaging.
- Reuse your wrapping paper from last year or buy wrapping paper that can be recycled (not foil or cellophone).
- Make your own gifts or Christmas decorations – check out Pinterest.co.nz for great ideas
- And if your secret Santa gives you something you won’t use, then you can always regift!
- Plan ahead and only buy what you will need to feed your tribe.
- Use leftovers to make more holiday meals, check out the Love Food Hate Waste Facebook page for tips and inventive recipes.
- Compost food scraps - Auckland Council can help you get started.Treat your family or yourself with your very own compost bin, worm farm or bokashi system – take the online quiz or attend a course in the new year to get a discount.
Home or away
- Some Auckland Council kerbside household rubbish and recycling collection dates change during the summer break. Check collection days here.
- Use a local recycling point or bring recycling home with you if you are on holiday.
- Check with neighbours if they can put your rubbish or recycling bin out if you are away.