Manukau: New bin service - 7 things you need to know
7 things you need to know on the new bin service
We’re binning the bags – 7 things you need to know
Auckland Council is introducing a rubbish bin service in the former Manukau City Council area
- The rubbish bin replaces rubbish bags.
- Each household will be supplied with a standard rubbish bin for rubbish (120 litre). This holds enough rubbish for a weekly collection for the majority of Auckland households.
- There will be no changes to current rubbish collection days.
- This service is rates funded and residents will pay no additional charges for the standard 120 litre bin.
- Bins will be delivered in June and July 2017, but won’t be used until the new service starts in September 2017.
- Collection services using the new rubbish bin will begin on 4 September 2017.
- Larger 240L bin: If you are the property owner or landlord you will be able to request a larger bin from 12 June 2017, the following charges for a larger bin service will apply:
$55.00* 1 September 2017- 31 December 2017.
$41.00* 1 January 2018 – 30 June 2018. (This is a half-yearly charge)
(*Subject to consultation of the council's annual plan).
An online form for ordering a larger bin will be available from 12 June 2017.
For larger bins ordered before Friday 31 March, the charge will be $55.00* (approx.) for the first year and an ongoing annual charge thereafter to be included in your rates. The charge includes the collection cost.
If you did not request a larger bin before Friday 31 March, you will receive the standard sized bin in June-July.Once this new service begins only rubbish in the bin will be collected. When the new rubbish bin starts, you will not have to purchase rubbish bags as you may place your loose rubbish directly into the new rubbish bin, without first placing it in a bag. If it is convenient for you, you may put your rubbish in a bag before placing the bag in the new rubbish bin.