Aotea / Great Barrier roadside collection services
What you need to know about rubbish and recycling
Better for the environment – New waste services are part of the Hauraki Gulf Islands Waste plan to lead the island on the path towards zero waste to landfill. These services will encourage people to reduce the waste to landfill by reducing, reusing, recycling, and composting.
Better choice – Smart and easy for the residents of Aotea / Great Barrier Island to use.
How waste services work
- Use either official council rubbish bags or a 120-litre rubbish bin for the weekly roadside rubbish collection service.
- Roadside rubbish must be placed in either the official council rubbish bags or a rubbish bin for rubbish to be collected on your collection day.
- Bring your bag or bin, with your bundled paper and cardboard to the roadside* by 8 am on your collection day (Monday).
- Aotea Contractors will collect your rubbish bag or empty your rubbish bin each week.
- Gate fees apply to waste dropped off at the Claris Landfill. Official council rubbish bags can be dropped off at no extra charge.
- A Community Recycling Centre, operated by Envirokiwi Community Enterprise, is located at 66B Gray Road, Claris.
*If you do not live on a serviced road, use your nearest consolidation point. You can drop off your bag/bin to this point, but you need to collect your bin again at the end of the collection day.
Sort your plastic, glass, aluminium, and tins into your two, 60-litre yellow recycling crates. These will be emptied every week on your collection day (Monday), along with your rubbish bag or rubbish bin.
Is my property included?
Properties paying a waste charge are able to collect a yearly allocation of up to 52 official Auckland Council 60-litre rubbish bags from the Service Centre, or for those who opted in for a wheelie bin, a 120-litre roadside wheelie bin has been delivered to your property.
Roads marked in PURPLE are within the service area - collections will be made on the roadside. Roads marked in GREEN and ORANGE are not serviced.
Customers can use a designated consolidation point. Customers can also drop off waste to Claris Landfill, 70 Gray Road, during opening hours. Gate fees apply. Official council rubbish bags can be dropped off at no extra charge.
Click to enlarge.