Advice for boaties
Being waste-wise on the water
Aotea / Great Barrier Island
Aotea / Great Barrier Island has a user-pays system for waste services that applies to all residents and visitors.
With the local Claris landfill nearing capacity, boaties can help the island to minimise waste by taking your waste away with you and disposing of it responsibly on the mainland, wherever possible.
Before heading for Aotea/Great Barrier Island, plan ahead, bring minimal packaging with you, choose reusable containers, pack in, pack out, and leave nothing behind.
If you must dispose of waste while visiting the island, here's what you need to know:
- All public bins, including the waste stations at Port Fitzroy, Whangaparapara, Tryphena / Shoal Bay and outside the Claris Landfill, have closed.
- The floating summer waste barge no longer operates over the peak summer holiday season.
- During the peak summer holiday season, from around mid-December to early February, a user-pays waste disposal service operates at Port Fitzroy wharf. Specific details are publicised before summer holidays begin.
- If you have access to a vehicle on the island, you can drop off your waste to Aotea Community Recycling Centre / Claris Landfill.
- They are open from 9am to 4pm Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and 10am to 3pm every Saturday. Closed Sundays and public holidays.
- Gate fees may apply.
- Clean and sorted recycling will be accepted free of charge.
- Official Auckland Council rubbish bags will also be accepted for free.
- You can buy 60-litre council bags from the service centre from Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm, at a cost of $3.90 each.
- 60-litre council rubbish bags may also be available for purchase from these outlets:
- Stonewall Store - 82 Blackwell Drive, Tryphena
- Port Fitzroy General Store - 2070 Aotea Road, Port Fitzroy
- Claris Store - 129 Hector Sanderson Road, Claris
- Mulberry Grove Store - 1 Mulberry Grove Road, Mulberry Grove
- Great Barrier Lodge - 735 Whangaparapara Road, Whangaparapara
- Anamata Resource Recovery Shop - 70 Gray Road, Claris.