The Three Kings Recovery and Salvage Project
Built in 1957, The Three Kings building was closed in 2011 following the discovery of mould. It was agreed that the original building had heritage value and would be restored, and the four story addition built in 1990 would be removed.
With the intention of minimising construction and demolition waste, and maximising benefit to the community, the Puketepapa Local Board promoted a project that would involve a community based organisation in the recovery and salvage of deconstruction materials.
The Three Kings Recovery and Salvage Project delivered a ground breaking approach to community involvement in deconstruction and resource recovery with potential for long-term reduction in Auckland’s construction and demolition waste and empowering the community.